Friday, November 21, 2008

Atheists are to blame for the recession

Hot off the stupid press, Daniel Henninger tells us in a column for the The Wall Street Journal how atheists are to blame for the recession. Does this mean if I kill myself things will get better? I hope not.
And so it will come to pass once again that many people will spend four weeks biting on tongues lest they say "Merry Christmas" and perchance, give offense. Christmas, the holiday that dare not speak its name.
Do I celebrate Christmas? Sure, it’s presents and booze and puking behind Aunt Mary’s potted plant. I also wish people merry christmas as I go about eating babies in my merry militant atheist way. It’s two words, and the traditional meaning is presents and booze and puking behind… you get the point I’m sure.
This year we celebrate the desacralized "holidays" amid what is for many unprecedented economic ruin -- fortunes halved, jobs lost, homes foreclosed. People wonder, What happened? One man's theory: A nation whose people can't say "Merry Christmas" is a nation capable of ruining its own economy.
Even if Christians don’t say it? Now be prepared, it’s been fun and games up till now but don’t spit coffee out all over your monitor:
It has been my view that the steady secularizing and insistent effort at dereligioning America has been dangerous. That danger flashed red in the fall into subprime personal behavior by borrowers and bankers, who after all are just people. Northerners and atheists who vilify Southern evangelicals are throwing out nurturers of useful virtue with the bathwater of obnoxious political opinions.

The point for a healthy society of commerce and politics is not that religion saves, but that it keeps most of the players inside the chalk lines. We are erasing the chalk lines.

Feel free: Banish Merry Christmas. Get ready for Mad Max.
I like Mad-Max, I think that would be cool. I could eat babies, and drive around in a cool explosive laden futuristic punk vehicle, (not sure the leather chaps would do my figure justice though). So there we are, atheist bashing has reached the Wall Street Journal. What a cuboid of strange we live in.

No comments: