Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday's Robot

This next freaky entry is from Cornell University. I suspect it's actually made from articulated Swiss cheese.



I think we should have a lot more robots made from cheese. I mean, if they go mad and decide to take over the world all we need to get rid of them is a box of crackers.

What's really amazing about this robot is that each segment is entirely independent. Each 'cube' appears to contain one joint and associated motor. I assume one of the biggest problems is to keep the thing powered through the connectors; you'll see they're also embedded in the floor. The trick is keep all pieces connected so they have power to move, connect and disconnect. Don't even get me started on the algorithm required to animate these cheese towers.

No comments: